Slider

Discovering My Dad's Truth

Friday, June 15, 2018

Reading books?

Who’s got time for that?

I’ve got two kids, a job and I’m busy….so who has time to read a book?

I’ve never been a big reader anyway, but its crazy how fueled I feel to soak up my mind with research and knowledge.

As we approach Father’s Day weekend, I believe it’s appropriate to highlight my Dad’s book: Walk-Ons Are Welcome The story of a South Georgia farm boy and Georgia Bulldog and his journey with Jesus Christ.


Dad returning a punt 76 yards in a game against the 
University of Kentucky at Sanford Stadium during his junior season in 1969.

My dad, Buck Swindle, wrote this book eight years ago and I just finished it last night. 

As much as I was excited for him to write a book, I was not ready to read was inside. 

Again, who has time to read anyway, right?

But the truth is I was nervous about what might be on those pages. I was afraid of what feelings might bubble up for me to hear his voice as I was reading his written words. 
For years, I’ve heard others in the family talk about nuggets here and there, but I finally decided that it was time for me to find out for myself. And oh, was it great timing! 

My Dad grew up on a farm in South Georgia. I have fond memories of his parents and the land there. The book goes into great detail of his sports career and how he walked-on at the University of Georgia football team. He was a part of 1968 SEC Championship team and married my mom – who I’m sure was the sweetest thing on campus!

I discovered so much by reading this story and I cannot help but pull many parallels from both of our lives. 

* Being a college athlete, I can relate to the demands and pressures of that level of competition. 
* My dad worked in our family clothing business, Warren Sewell Clothing Company and had a passion for sales, merchandising and marketing. 
* We also have found a relationship with Christ later in our lives. More on this mind-blowing parallel later…. 

My dad has also struggled.

I mean struggled.

He has struggled with personal relationships, sin, finances, and other real messes. 

Throughout the book, he is very transparent about all of this and the fact that Christ was not on the radar during the dark days.

I couldn’t help but think about how much my story relates to his. 

During what was some of the darkest of dark days for my Dad, something happened on a mission trip to Mexico. I love how he describes this moment of a 7-year-old little girl who was living in extreme poverty. She touched my Dad and invited him to experience true salvation. 


A Salvation Bracelet


This was no accident. 

It was a gift from God.

From that moment, things changed for my Dad. Things began to slowly turn around for him. Reading what his life has been like after he began a relationship with Christ was a real treat to read! It was almost like I could feel the lightness and connection in his words on the page. 

The final parallel I believe is important to mention is what he encouraged others to do in one of the very last pages of the book: 

“The 30 Day Trial”

I was frozen when I read this because I say this ALL THE TIME, but I never had a call to action. I would like to share his call to action for this:

If you as a reader of this book, have not given Christ a chance, just give it what I call the “30-Day Trial.” After identifying a Bible-based church, for four consecutive weeks:

-    Attend the service of your choice.
-    Locate a Sunday School class of your preference and attend four weeks in succession. 
-    Read Upper Room daily devotional or another devotional similar every morning, first thing, for 30 days. 
-    Read one of the 31 Psalms each day for 30 days. 

Prayer is powerful in the process. At the end of the 30-Day Trial, you can determine your next move in the process. If you chose to continue the work in progress, God will bless you in ways you did not believe possible. If you chose not to take the next step, I am sure God will appreciate you making an effort. 

Again, this all really blew my mind and I love the action steps he shared for this. Thanks for this, Dad! I will be borrowing this for the future!

As I have been more open about sharing my truth, I know just how emotionally and physically demanding writing can be. Sometimes after I’ve written a blog post, I feel like I need a nap. 

The timing of my reading his book is so crazy and so perfect. I know God lead me to read it when it was time and I just LOVE how God does that! God knew I was ready and that I needed my Dad’s truth. 

So on this Father’s Day weekend, I know it has made my Dad very happy to have finally read his book, but I feel as though I am the one receiving the gift. 

I could not imagine reading it any earlier in my life and I am so grateful to know and connect with so many things my Dad and I share – both the good and the bad. 


Dad and me on Saint Simons Island - May 2007

Thank you, Dad, for letting others know that you can be broken and redeemed. 
That you will have a better life in you let Him in. 
And thank you for sharing your truth.

I look forward to connecting with you more as we share our love and craving for our Lord and Savior. 

Happy Father’s Day, Dad!

Love, 

Saralyn 

As always, if you have any questions or thoughts, please feel free to share a comment below!
The book may be found on Amazon by clicking here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan