Slider

Book Review: The 5 Second Rule

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Before I dive right into this, I think it’s important that I mention that I have NEVER been a big reader. It’s not that I don’t like to read; maybe I am just not disciplined in that area quite yet. I seem to never have the time to sit down and read the pages quietly while life is happening around me. Maybe that is sad and lame, but reading books have never been a huge passion of mine.

With that said personal development (P.D.) or “self help” books have NEVER been on my radar. Honestly, I really do not read books at all. Well, with the small exception of the Twilight series – those books I could hardly put down.

Knowing this about myself, I decided to get an Audible account so I could listen to books while I drive in the car or listen while I’m working out. It’s pretty awesome really and just a better way for me to absorb information.

I’ve heard so much buzz around a book called “The 5 SecondRule” by Mel Robbins. I knew people that absolutely SWORE by this book and I am so glad that I decided to finally download it so I could listen to the 5 + hour story on how The 5 Second Rule came to be.


Without giving too much of the book away, my goal is to give you a glimpse into how this book has helped me in just a few weeks of listening to the book. Mel Robbins is a witty, smart mid-westerner with a background in law. She is a wife and mother of two girls and she finds herself in a place in her life where she feels “stuck.” We have all been there right? 

We are in a job we hate. 
We have an awesome idea, but we are too scared to act on it? 
We see need to have a conversation with someone, but the timing is never “right.” 
Or what about simply getting up earlier and tackling that “to-do” list that keeps getting pushed aside.

I know I have been there.

What I appreciate about this book is how open Mel is about her own personal situation and how she applies The 5 Second Rule or as Mel calls it “The Rule” to her situation. There is a ton of science and research that goes into The Rule (over 6 years) and they way she spells it out makes so much sense.

For example, we are NEVER going to FEEL like doing most things. Getting up early, going to the gym, emptying the dishwasher…you get the idea. See if we waited around until we “felt” like doing most things, we would never ever do them.

The way The 5 Second Rule comes in is that it’s somewhat of a trick on your brain. Without getting too sciencey (not sure that is even a word…I’m pretty sure it isn’t) something “wakes up” the frontal cortex of your brain when you simply count backwards instead of forwards.

As humans, we are constantly going in a forward motion when we move…turn pages right to left when we read…threaten our children by “counting to three”. When you count “5, 4, 3, 2, 1” then Go!, your brain almost does not have time to consider if you “feel” like doing a certain task or not. You just do it.

If you wait more than five seconds to act that is when fear and doubt creep in and your brain will kill the idea.



So far, The 5 Second Rule has been the most helpful for me in 3 ways:

1. I am not always up before my kids and I am not exactly proud of this. When Stephen gets up in the mornings around 5:20am to take Winston out, I usually hear him. While I am there thinking about if I “feel” like getting up, somehow my mind shifts to The Rule and I start counting…5,4,3,2,1. I’m kind of miffed for a couple of seconds after I rise up out of bed, but then there I am up and moving. I get my coffee, head downstairs to begin my day. So far this has been amazing at how it sets the tone for my day.

2. Chores around the house are just one of those things you have to do, right? The laundry and the dishwasher are always full in my house and seem like a never-ending task. Since I have adopted The Rule, I just count 5,4,3,2,1 and get them done and out of the way. I just do it.

3. Never letting things go unsaid. How many unread text messages or emails do you have on your phone right now? I’m guilty of having quite a few at times. How many of you have something you want to say to someone, but are afraid? The promotion you want at work, but you are too afraid to ask? The idea you have at a board meeting, but what if it sounds stupid? When was the last time you simply said “thank you” or texted a loved one “I love you”?

What I have learned from The 5 Second Rule is that you will NEVER know if you don’t act. There is so much AWESOMENESS on the other side of fear and doubt. If you don’t lean in, raise your hand, press send, you will NEVER know if you don’t take action.

You count, act and you are done. The point is that it doesn’t have to be perfect, but you at least STARTED. When we ACT, is when things really awesome happen. Not when we are “thinking” about doing something or we are “too afraid” or “don’t feel like it.”

Y'all, it’s truly AMAZING at how much time I have gained since I have started doing this. Mel goes into greater detail about how this has helped people land the job of their dreams, fight addiction and bring loved ones back together. It’s really amazing at how powerful it is.
I have suggested the book to many others as well. Stephen has started listening to the book and I’ve been impressed with his own take-aways.

Friends, our time is limited here on Earth and you NEVER how long you have. Make today and each moment count.

5
4
3
2
1
Go!

xoxo, 
Saralyn 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan